DIY: Peppermint Flavored Sugar
You are really gonna love this goody! A homemade peppermint sugar that is amazing stirred into packaged or homemade hot chocolate, delicious in your morning coffee, and a treat sprinkled over sugar cookies or pancakes. Use it in place of plain sugar in your favorite holiday recipes. Pick up several pretty bottles to make it in and make multiple gifts for very little money. Set a pretty jar out on your coffee bar at work or your next holiday party and get rave reviews! Don’t forget a festive ribbon or raffia and a tag to identify the flavor if giving as a gift.
Ingredients need for peppermint flavored sugar
- 1-2 cups of sugar
- 8-12 fresh peppermint leaves
- airtight bottle or jar
- Remove all labels from jar, wash it thoroughly, and make sure it is completely dry inside before you begin filling it.
- Start by bruising the peppermint leaves to release the natural oils. I have found the best method for this is to lay the leaves on a cutting board and gently tap with the backside of a spoon.
- Layer an inch sugar, place a couple bruised peppermint leaves on top of sugar, layer more sugar, and more leaves. Repeat until your jar is full.
- Set in a cool, dark place for 2 to 3 weeks and allow the natural flavors to be absorbed by the sugar.