Summer is almost here! And it’s time to start planning activities for your kids to do this summer!
Reading is a HUGE part of our children being successful! Sign your little ones (and big ones) up for a Summer Reading program! Here is a list of national and local programs your child(ren) can participate in…. so browse and sign up for the ones that interest/near you!
We participate every year in our local summer reading program. When I was a little girl I signed up for my summer reading program and loved setting goals and challenging myself to the next reading level! I hope you and your kids enjoy reading this summer!
Scholastic’s Summer Challenge: Kids can keep tryack of their reading minutes by logging in. In return, they can enter to win various sweepstakes including the following:
- 39 Clues prize pack: all the books from both series one, The Clue Hunt, and series two, Cahills vs. Vespers, in a The 39 Clues Backpack.
- Dear Dumb Diary prize pack: one DVD of the original Dear Dumb Diary movie, piece of original art by Dear Dumb Diary author Jim Benton, complete set of Dear Dumb Diary (12 books) and complete set of Dear Dumb Diary Year Two (4 books).
- The False Prince prize pack: One autographed copy of The False Prince by Jennifer Nielsen and one autographed copy of The Runaway King by Jennifer Nielsen
- Harry Potter box set: One Harry Potter Hard Cover Boxed Set #1-7A 39 Clues Prize Pack
Registration opens up on May 6th.
Pottery Barn Kids’ Summer Reading Challenge: Kids 10 and under will need to read the books listed on an age-appropriate list. Once they finish the list, they take their reading list to a PBK store and will get a free book. This event kicks off on May 16th and runs through August 26th. and more details will be available at that time.
Barnes & Noble’s Summer Reading: This one requires kids to read eight books an then make a short recommendation on each one. They can then turn in their completed Summer Reading form at a store and choose a free book from this list! This even starts May 21st and runs through September 3rd.
Pizza Hut Book-It Program. This program is offered to schools – including home schooling parents. Starting May 1st, homeschoolers can sign up to get in on the program. You can watch their Facebook page for more details.
Junie B. Kids’ Reading club and get a free starter kit. The kit comes with the following:
- Free copy of June B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus
- Exclusive Activity Pages
- Membership ID Card
In addition to the above, you will receive updates about new books, activities and other events.
Chuck E Cheese: Your child can keep track of their reading thruogh one of the rewards calendars. Once they have completed two weeks of reading he or she can submit the completed Chuck E Cheese calendar for 10 free tokens!
Half Price Books: Kids should read (or be read to) for at least 15 minutes a day during June and July. Once they read 300 minutes, they can turn in their log and earn $5 in Half Price Books Bookworm bucks. They will also award one reader in each age group a $20 Half Price Books giftcard.
Sylvan’s Book Adventure Program: This program is for children in grades K-8. The search online for books and then find them in the library (or bookstore) and read them. Then, they come back and take quiz about the book and are rewarded with prizes for their reading success!
H.E.B. Summer Reading Club: When your kids read 10 or more books, they can submit a form and end up getting a cool prize (which includes a T-Shirt). Just fill out the form including the books your child has read (if your kids can’t read, you can just list the books you read to them) and mail to the address on the form! The form must be postmarked by October 1, 2013.
Showcase Cinemas Bookworm Wednesdays (select locations): Each Wednesday from July 10 – August 7, kids can bring in a book report (unless you are six and under and then admission will be free) – which will be cost of admission! The films in include:
- July 10th – Yogi Bear
- July 17th – Ice Age: Continental Drift
- July 24th – Madagascar 3
- July 31st – The Lorax
- August 7th – Hotel Transylvania
Bob Jones University: Children ages 4 – 17 can participate in this fun program. First, you will want to find the reading requirements and even review the suggested reading lists. Then, print out a log for your child’s age group. You will determine the goal which can be to read for a select number of minutes or number of pages on a daily basis. As your child reaches his/her goal, the log is updated. At the end of 40 days, Once they have completed the log, your will submit the completion form and mail it in (prior to August 15, 20130). Prizes are awarded for completing the program while supplies last.
Your child will also be entered to win one of nine Summer Reading Tote bags filled with JourneyForth Books (3 for each age group). They might also win the grand prize – a Kindle Fire!! (Thanks Surviving a Teacher’s Salary!)
Thanks Penny Pinchin’ Mom!
Additional Local (Lansing/Jackson) Programs:
Summer Kick-Off: Monday, June 10
Games, crafts, snacks & summer reading sign-up
All ages: 10 am – 2 pm
Teens (13-18): 6-7:45 pm
All ages can participate in our reading program and summer events. We have separate programs for kids (up to age 8), tweens (ages 9-12), teens (ages 13-18), and adults. All programs are FREE!
*we did this last summer at our library and my boys enjoyed the monthly book club!
You can earn prizes just by keeping track of your reading time and doing fun activities!
Here’s how it works:
- Sign up begins Monday, June 10 at all CADL branches.
- Record your reading time and activities on your game board.
- Bring the game board back to the library to claim your prizes.
Saturday, June 15, 11 AM to 3 PM
- Free hot dogs and free cotton candy for everyone, plus magic shows, face painting, balloon animals, a live DJ, a bouncy house, and oh-so-many games, activities, and prizes!
- Showcase big digging machines, including big construction vehicles, a big snowplow, a big fire truck, and even a police car!
Sign up for our free summer reading program, and get a free book, too!
Latest posts by T Worthey (see all)
- I’m Going To Meet Oprah + Ava | A Wrinkle In Time Press Junket - February 22, 2018
- A Look At Black Panther’s Design + Production with Hannah Beachler + Ruth E. Carter - February 20, 2018
- Black Superhero Action Figures + Black Panther Merchandise - February 16, 2018