This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #Mach3Signature #CollectiveBias
Smooth Operator: 10 Best Shaving Tips
My mom once said, “The things you did to get her are the things you do to keep her.” Mothers are wise. The advice a mother gives you in your youth often comes back and hits you right upside your head when you’re an adult. When you’re dating a woman, things change. No matter who you are, chances are you aren’t just carving out large blocks of your time to spend with someone else just because. Typically there is an objective, an end game, or an expected outcome (short or long-term). I am married. I am a married man. I am a married man with a wife. I am a married man with a wife who likes me to keep things fresh and…interesting. If you look around or wake up one day and find yourself in a marriage, allow me to let you in on a little secret. Dating your betrothed should not be a thing of the past. Dating should be front and center. Dating will save your marital life and pay huge dividends far into the happily ever after stratagem. And although dating your spouse is serious business, it shouldn’t feel like a chore. Taking out the trash or cleaning the toilet shouldn’t fall into the same “chore” category as dating your best friend, also known as your wife. And if it does, perhaps you need couples counseling STAT!
The difference between dating your wife and pre-marital conquests, (clearing throat)
Ouch you may say, but not really. Because the why and how you date your wife is vastly different from the women you dated prior to saying, “I do.” Or at least it should be. There are several key differences, but I will only focus on a few. First and foremost, you are in love with your wife. And your love for her (signed, sealed, and delivered via a marriage license) is already established. Marriage takes the guesswork out of dating, but by no means should it be interpreted that dating your wife should be boring or unexciting. What it means is that you can stop trying to impress and focus on just maintaining a mutual romantic interest. Keep it fresh. Dating informs your wife that you are still smitten and very much interested in her. Dating your wife also gives both of you room to luxuriate in the presence of the one you love without distractions. Dating your wife also means you can spend lavishly just because you want to and not feeling like, “I wonder if this $100 lobster and prime rib is a waste of time and money.” Because at the end of the day, marriage means you no longer have to be dubious in regards to the woman you have fought for, and that sets the tone because when you love someone it doesn’t mean you stop trying to woo them. The opposite is actually truer, as it should be. We’re not talking about overkill here, but the key to dating your wife is to let her know she is not just a spouse, the mother of your children, or a glorified and lifelong roommate. When you fail to see her as the center of your romantic focus, things can potentially sour and grow stale. And thus being “smooth” is our word of the day.
What does smooth mean?
Being smooth is the marital ideology that should dictate the rest of a man’s married life. Not even kidding here, guys. Because smooth means, you got the girl, but you also got to keep the girl. Smooth is an attitude of the highest order. It means putting her first and making her the recipient of your ever-constant love language. But not overbearing, not smothering, not clingy, but ever so smooth. Be the wind. Be the river. Be her man.
Date night is ritualistic but not boring
The thing about date nights is they are your date nights, which means in the most basic sense that you have a large amount of control on the setting, the mood, and the outcome. She’s your woman, and by this point in the relationship, you, my good man, should know a thing or two concerning your very significant other’s likes and dislikes, etcetera, right?
Believe it or not, your woman loves your face
Yes, you may find this hard to believe, but your lady loves your face. Your face is the window dressing to your soul; it is the place she looks at when she talks to you (most of the time), and she likes to kiss and touch it. So, since she enjoys your face so much you should go out of your way to make sure your face is in good working order, if not all of the time, then especially on date nights.
The 10 Key steps to a good shave to ensure maximum smoothness
If you didn’t know, shaving your face is a process, and there are important steps you can take to make certain your mug is soft as a baby’s bottom. It may come as surprise, but shaving well requires a few invaluable rules of thumb and here they are:
- A clean face is a happy face. Wash your face with an unscented face soap, liquid preferably. The goal here is to have nothing that is going to get in the way of a good shave. Using a clean face towel and warm soapy water, wash your face, the place where the man-hair grows. Wash in a circular motion in order to lift dirt and oil from not only the skin’s surface but from your pores as well. Rinse off the soap thoroughly; as a matter, of fact rinse your face 2 or 3 times if necessary.
- Pat your face off using a damp towel and not a dry towel because dry towels remove too much moisture from your delicate skin. And the name of the game is smooth, not dry and arid like the Gobi Desert.
- The hot towel treatment. Remember those cowboy movies and gangster movies where the man is getting a shave with a straight razor? In just about all of those scenes the men first get the hot towel treatment. There’s a reason for that; placing a hot towel on your face just before shaving softens your facial hair, and soft facial hair is easier to cut with a Gillette® Mach3® Signature Edition razor found at Costco.
- Lather up! Use an ample amount of shaving cream, and remember your skin should be just a bit wet because having dry skin underneath the shaving cream will increase the possibility of skin irritation and redness. The warm water beneath the shaving cream acts like lubricant and allows the razor blades to do their job properly, cut hair.
- Shave with the grain of your hair and not against it. This is especially important for men with sensitive facial skin. Shaving against the grain can also cause irritation and redness, both of which are huge no-nos. The razor should be moving in an ear to chin motion, jawbone to chin, and neck to chin motion. Capiche?
- Use the tips of your fingers to check for unshorn hairs. The tips of your fingers are more sensitive than you think; move them along your face, and repeat shaving as necessary.
- Rinse, rinse, and rinse. Use warm water to remove hair and shaving cream from your face.
- The cold water treatment. The final rinse should be with cool or cold water; doing so closes your pores and promotes the retention of moisture.
- Moisturize. You want a smooth face? Well compadre, you need to moisturize. And if you think this all-important step is just for the ladies, well then get over it because it isn’t. Applying a good moisturizer is an essential step in maintaining healthy man skin. Period.
- Eat good food and drink lots of water. Eating a healthy diet free of many processed foods, i.e., potato chips, sodas, and fast greasy foods, is a step in the right direction. Also, stay hydrated. Drink plenty of clean water and natural processed fruit and vegetable juices. This is a vital step in overall skin health.
There you go; do these things and not only will your lady thank you but your face will be mighty appreciative as well. The Gillette® Mach3® Signature Edition razor was made smooth so you can be “smooth.” And really how can it be anything but smooth? It has an extra-lubricating gel strip (vs. Mach3®), and it has more skinguard fins under the hood (vs. Sensor® 2 Disposable).
And your wallet will have reason to smile too, because not only are you getting an improved razor with the new Gillette® Mach3® Signature Edition, you are getting it at the right price too, a ($36.99) combo pack at Costco. The combo pack has a whopping 14-cartridges and one mighty fine shaving handle! Yes, this baby is going to ensure many successful shaving experiences far into your “date night” future. Make no mistake, your face will be smooth, touchable and perfect. So if you planned your date night as well as you have selected the new Gillette® Mach3® Signature Edition, then dude you’re going to be 100% golden and up to 100% redness-free. (It’s possible with Mach3®.)
Hopefully, my 10 Date Night Shaving Tips will help you find the Smooth Operator in you before the next big date. What are some of your best shaving techniques or your husband or lover’s best tips? Leave me a comment below, and let me know.
Find more date night tips and ideas below: