“This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. All opinions are 100% mine.”
Tips for Keeping Kids Safe from Poison
When I discovered I was pregnant with not just one baby, but two, it made me nervous. I was worried that I would drop the baby, they would get into things when I wasn’t looking, or better yet, swallow something awful. I remember child-proofing our house like crazy. Every socket had to be covered; every cabinet had a child-safety lock on it. Even then that wasn’t enough. One of the twins was curious and smart. He would look for ways to get locks off the cabinets, pull the safety sockets out of the plugs, and force things to work his way.
Making the phone call to poison control is a scary one, and thankfully we haven’t had to make that phone call (yet). But many parents have been doing this road time and time again. Their kid eats something that they weren’t supposed to. Poison is everywhere, and unfortunately, it’s in everyday products that we keep in our home. Bear in mind adults know not to drink bleach, but if a kid stumbles upon it, they have no clue what about this forbidden rule.
Common sense comes with time, but when it comes to putting items in the mouth or messing around with certain items, kids just don’t get it. Which is why, as the adults we have to do everything we can as parents to help our kids avoid poison. Poison Prevention Week happens during the last week of March. However, we have to talk about this necessary issue every day of the year. Nationwide, in collaboration with Safe Kids Worldwide, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, and the American Red Cross, came up with the Make Safe Happen Campaign. They are focusing on four critical at-home safety risks. They are furniture and TV tip-overs, poisoning, drowning, and fire. Today we are going to talk about the concerns of poisoning and what we can do to prevent it.
This is a concern to many parents, including myself. I came up with a list of tips to help us keep our kids safe from poison.
Utilize High Shelves
Having children at home can be nerve-wracking because they can get into everything. One tip for keeping kids safe from poison is to put everything on a high shelf. We are not talking a generic shelf that is only a few feet off the ground. You need a high shelf in which your kids can not reach the items that are poisonous to them. Do keep in mind, if you have a child that loves to climb on things, this may not be enough. Not only will you have to keep things on high shelves, but they may need to be locked away in a box or safe.
Lock it Up
Sometimes when you think you are kid-proofing you’re not, just putting something “away” doesn’t guarantee the kids can’t get to it. A surefire way to keep kids safe from poison is to lock it up. There are several ways you can lock up poison (cleaning products, medicine, and so on), just a matter of preference. You can get a padlock or even buy a small safe. Did you know if you download the Make Safe Happen app you can purchase safety items based on what you need for your home. You can also visit www.MakeSafeHappen.com to get a printable checklist of safety items you can do around your home to make it a safe place for the kids. Many children are smart, and the $1.00 kid safety locks may not cut it. You may have to invest in thicker, stronger padlocks. Also, if you have children on the Autism Spectrum, you may find yourself being frustrated with how easy they can get into things. Because their IQ may be off the chart, it is imperative for you to invest into padlocks specially designed for our kids.
Put the Makeup Away
It’s hard to believe that something as simple as makeup can be poisonous to a child, but it’s true. Don’t leave your makeup just laying out on the counter. Make sure you put it away, so your children don’t come into contact with it. It’s simple things like this that can poison children without the parents understanding how. Besides Cosmetics, here are some other items you may not have considered as harmful to your kids (and even pets):
- Cosmetics and personal care items (like nail polish remover, jewelry cleaner, mouthwash)
- Medicine and vitamins
- Laundry detergents and cleaning solutions (like bleach, carpet cleaner, furniture polish)
- Car fluids
- Bug and weed killers, fertilizers and plant food
- Lighter fluid, kerosene, and torch fuel
Keep Products in the Original Packages
Most products come a certain way because they are childproof. Don’t take your cleaning products out of their original packaging. Don’t take medicine out of its original packaging. Doing this gives your children an easier opportunity to get their hands on these items to consume. Also, make sure you are locking those products up away from children. I remember having safety locks on every cabinet in my home.
Use Common Sense
This may sound mean, but use common sense when it comes to keeping kids away from poison. Kids get into everything, so it’s a safe bet that you should just put anything and everything away that can poison them. Do a weekly check of items that maybe didn’t get put away correctly. Remember that the safety of your children is riding on you being responsible and putting things away.
It’s important to Parents or Daycare Providers about being informed of the necessary safety measures we must take. “According to a recent Nationwide Make Safe Happen survey, 9 out of 10 poisonings happen right in the home. And every day, over 300 children in the U.S. ages 0 to 19 are treated in an emergency room, with two children dying due to being poisoned.” Nationwide is also concerned about this issue, and they have quite a wealth of information on their Nationwide Poison Prevention website. You can also find more information by going to the US Department of Health and Human Services website.
We have to stay vigilant about keeping items away from them, so no one gets poisoned. Do you have any tips to add to this list? Have Poison Control’s number programmed in your phone and on the refrigerator: (800)-222-1222. Having this number handy can help you in the case of a poison emergency!