I love upcycle ideas for taking old junk and creating something new. There are so many items around the house that would be thrown away, but fun ideas come to mind and suddenly I have upcycle ideas that make that junk become something purposeful! Here’s an easy upcycled DIY project to try this weekend. Upcycled Picture Frame Dresser Tray
Upcycle Ideas: Picture Frame Dresser Tray
You know you have them laying somewhere in a box in your home. Those old picture frames you just can’t stand to throw away, but just don’t like the looks of hanging on your wall. You know they aren’t a piece of trash, but what are they? For me, they are the beginning of amazing upcycle ideas that transform something simple and budget-friendly into something great. This simple project takes an ugly old picture frame and turns it into a useful dresser tray that can hold jewelry, perfume, makeup, or even your wallet.
- Picture frame (the more decorative the trim, the better!)
- Spray paint in choice of color
- Fabric in choice of color/design (choose something that compliments the paint choice)
- Small knick-knacks such as perfume bottles, vases, makeup dishes, etc.
- Fabric glue or white craft glue
- Begin by removing the parts of the frame. Use the back cardboard sheet as a stencil to trace onto and cut the fabric so you know it will fit.
- Apply two coats of spray paint to the frame. Allow it to dry thoroughly. As it dries, you can begin assembling the other pieces. Most spray paint doesn’t take very long to dry, but you could do this and go watch your favorite show on Netflix for a few hours, then come back to finish later.
- Cut the fabric to fit, and smooth out so no wrinkles are present.
- Apply some fabric glue, spray adhesive, or a thin layer of white craft glue to the cardboard and press the fabric to it to fit.
- Smooth out with your hands to eliminate wrinkles and make sure the fabric is even.
- Place the piece of clean glass over the top of the fabric. Trim any fabric that may be sticking out of the sides.
- Slide the pieces back into the now dry frame. Lay the frame flat so to act as a dresser tray. Top with small dresser items to complete the look.
I love these upcycle ideas like this that act as a fun decor item but are also functional. While I purposed this for my dresser, you can also add something like this to your entryway to catch keys, or as a centerpiece on your coffee table to place a vase.
I’ve even seen an upcycled picture frame idea that was used on a bathroom counter to hold hand sanitizer, tissues, lotion, and a small dish you could place your rings when washing your hands. The possibilities with this are truly endless!
More DIY Ideas:
- Upcycled DIY Gumball Machine
- Homemade Peppermint Foot Scrub
- DIY Minions Crayons: How To Make Your Own Crayons
- 27 Creative Ways To Use Wood Pallets