Beef & Potatoes Breakfast Skillet Casserole
There is nothing wrong with having a light breakfast. A quick bite of fresh fruit or a healthy bowl of granola is typical around our house. But weekends we let the breakfast plates get a bit heavy laden. And making a nice hearty meal like our Beef & Potatoes Breakfast Skillet Casserole is not a bad plan of action. And this is breakfast with a substantial stick to your ribs factor. There a seasoned beef with chunks of garlic, Russet potatoes, onions, sweet red bell peppers, eggs, cheese and flat-leaf parsley. All of the ingredients come together to make any weekend memorable. Look for the full recipe down below.
- 2 lbs seasoned ground beef
- 2.5 lbs Russet potatoes, washed, scrubbed and cut into 2″ cubes
- 5 – 6 eggs
- 0.5 cup diced onions
- 0.5 cup diced sweet bell peppers
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tbsp unsalted sweet cream butter
- 4 – 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Sea salt or Kosher salt to taste
Note: I seasoned 2 pounds of ground beef with freshly ground black pepper, sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, four cloves if chopped garlic and dried cilantro.
- In a large cast iron skillet over med-high heat add two (2) tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, when the oil is hot add seasoned ground beef and brown. Drain off excess grease and spoon into a bowl.
- Wipe skillet clean and add two (2) tablespoons of EVOO and two (2) tablespoons of unsalted butter, when oil/butter is hot add cubed potatoes and season with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt. Brown potatoes and then turn flame to low and add the diced onions, cover skillet with a lid and allow the potatoes to cook through until the tines of a fork can easily pierce them. Potatoes should cook through in 15 – 20 minutes. Toss in diced sweet red pepper during the last three (3) minutes.
- When potatoes are finished cooking add the browned ground beef and chopped flat-leaf parsley toss.
- In a separate skillet add two (2) tablespoons of EVOO and when the oil is hot add 5 – 6 eggs, season eggs with freshly cracked black pepper and sea salt, fry eggs to your liking. Using a rubber spatula slide eggs onto the potatoes and ground beef mixture and top with shredded cheese and a bit more flat-leaf parsley.