Ease on down a winding country dirt road with this southern breakfast recipe for Biscuits and Gravy: Buttermilk Bacon Biscuits & Italian Sausage and Mushroom Gravy
Buttermilk Bacon Biscuits & Italian Sausage and Mushroom Gravy
I scream! You scream! We all scream for Buttermilk Bacon Biscuits & Italian Sausage and Mushroom Gravy! What?! Perhaps that’s not how the saying goes, but nonetheless, the sentiment is the same. And besides, who doesn’t go a lil’ gaga over biscuits and gravy? We’re talking total comfort food here, and that’s okay, really it is. Work hard, play hard and indulge in something extra delicious to eat. Because sometimes you just crave what you crave, and that’s that. Now, this isn’t an endorsement for eating “bad food” all day every day but in my mind, it’s all about balance. So belly up to the table for a heaping plate of belt bustin’ grub.
Every so often I get a hankering for the occasional high-fat-off-the-charts-high-carb indulgence. And if you’re going to go there you might as well go big, right? So, that’s my justification, inspiration and reason for creating such a crazy good off da’ chain recipe for biscuits and country gravy. For the biscuits, well they’re made with a ton of butter and rich buttermilk aplenty, but guess what? I also took it up a notch and tossed in thick cut Wright‘s bacon. Now, as if that wasn’t enough, how about the gravy? I made a crazy decadent Italian Sausage and Mushrooms Gravy, and I poured in a river of whole milk, heavy cream and buttermilk! Yup sir! I said buttermilk. So, say, “Holy Moly and Gal Dangit,” ’cause your taste buds are gonna’ do a jig and think they’ve died and gone to a heavenly foodie Shangri-La Ho Down! Check out the recipe and photo documentation after the jump. Because we all know if there aren’t any pictures, it never even happened. Enjoy!
Buttermilk Bacon Biscuits Ingredients:
Buttermilk Bacon Biscuits Directions:
Prep: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt unsalted butter for brushing on 2″ round cake pan and biscuits. Cook 3 – 4 strips of Wright’s thick-cut bacon until crispy, set on a plate upon paper towel to drain excess grease.
2. Remove bowl of chilled flour mix and add chilled buttermilk and bacon. Using a large spoon gently mix buttermilk and flour together, make sure to scrape down sides of bowl as well.
3. Toss a bit of flour onto a clean work surface and turn biscuit dough out onto work surface. Using a rolling pin roll the dough out. Then fold over once. Roll the dough out and scatter on crumbled bacon and fold dough over top to bottom by grasping the dough and folding it towards you. Repeat this process four times.
4. Then roll the dough out until it is 3/4″ thick and cut out biscuits with a biscuit cutter. I use my trusty homemade tin can biscuit cutter.
5. This should yield 10 – 12 buttermilk biscuits. Make sure biscuits are touching. Bake for 15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.
6. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter.
7. Serve and enjoy.
Italian Sausage & Mushroom Gravy Ingredients:
- 1 pound (16 ounces) Bob Evan’s Italian Sausage
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
Italian Sausage & Mushroom Gravy Directions:
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook Italian sausage, breaking apart into small pieces. When finished do not drain off grease.
- Pour in whole milk, heavy cream and buttermilk into sausage and stir.
- Sprinkle in flour a little at a time until fully incorporated.
- Add chopped mushrooms.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season with fresh cracked black pepper.
Note: If gravy becomes too thick add whole milk or heavy cream to thin it out.