Owning a dog is a big responsibility, but it also comes with big benefits. We’re sharing 18 reasons why dogs are magical, and why everyone should have one. This post is sponsored by A Dog’s Way Home, now available on Blu-ray and Digital.
18 Reasons Why Dogs Are Magical + Why You Need One
Dogs are just the best. There I said it. Now that we’ve got this fact out of the way, I want to tell you why having a dog comes with a big payoff. Since the boys were little, getting a dog was on our bucket list. We wanted a family dog, one that would grow up with the boys, protect them, love and care for them, knowing he or she would get that love in return. We received all of that and more when our home was graced with the pitter patter of puppy feet. It was love at first sight. We felt the same way Lucas felt in A DOG’S WAY HOME when he first met Bella.
This movie is a rollercoaster of emotions. And if you own a dog, you feel and understand the instant bond Lucas and Bella share. You will also be all in your feelings when Bella is impounded, then happy as she is reunited with Lucas, and then bawling as they have to separate from each other (again). You will also love and cheer Bella on as she is determined to find her way back to Lucas.
Bella is like the mailman, through any type of weather; she is determined to “go home.” And this is why dogs are the best. They are loyal. A Dog’s Way Home is such an incredible story, and we are excited to promote this heartwarming family-friendly movie.
Our loving and energetic dog named Chance has so many facets to his lovable personality. Our Chance is nothing short of magical, and he possesses the unique ability to create smiles and friends wherever he goes. He is also a great listener and friend to our teenage boys. Chance has transformed so many bad days into silver linings.
Why Dogs Are The Best
1. Dogs are uber smart. When Lucas teaches Bella to “go home” she was able to follow that simple command in no time. Not only can dogs follow simple directions, but they are aware of their surroundings and can pick up on someone’s vibe. When we were growing up, my older sister had a dog. Every day her dog would walk her to school, then walk back home. When her dog heard the school bus approaching, she would run out to meet her. Yes, dogs are so smart!
2. Dogs are your best friend. They are loyal. Bella showed us just how loyal dogs really are when she decided not to stay with the family that found her but find her way back to Lucas. Dogs are in it for the long haul.
3. They are always excited to see you. Our Chance hears our truck pull up in the driveway and can be found waiting by the door when we come in. His tail wags so hard with excitement, happy we are home. If you want to know what it feels like to have someone so excited for you walking in the door from a long day, get a dog. You could go outside for five minutes, and they are still super excited to see you when you walk back through the door. Dogs are the best!
4. They know how to cheer you up. When you are sad, dogs know how to come and comfort you. It’s something about their presence and nurturing spirit that will cheer you up, or calm you down if you’re upset. One of the main reasons why we wanted a dog is for our boys. With their sensory needs, having a dog has helped them in so many ways. In the movie, Bella paved the way for dogs to come into the VA Hospital to help Vets.
5. They are playful. Dogs love to play. Whether it’s running around the yard (or house), playing chase, fetch, or wrestling, Chance is always ready to play.
6. They keep you active. Dogs are great for keeping fit and staying active. They require walks, which gets us out of the house daily. Dogs are great workout partners, knowing how to do yoga and outrun you on the running trail. Yes, Chance keeps us healthy and young.
7. They are great companions. Whether you have a family, are single, or looking for a companion, dogs can be the best at this role. I can’t tell you how many times per day I have conversations with Chance, and he just sits there and listens to me. Every once in a while, he will chime in with some great advice.
8. They love to watch movies. Chance is a huge fan of watching other animals on the big screen. It’s so cute seeing him sitting there watching other dogs, which also means he will get up and try to talk (bark) at them. Need a movie suggestion? Check out A Dog’s Way Home, now available on Digital, Blu-ray, and DVD.
9. They don’t stay mad at you. Unlike another type of pet, dogs do not hold grudges. You can get upset at them for spilling garbage all over the floor, and three seconds later, they are back in your face wagging their tail with excitement. They forgive and forget quickly, something we could all learn as humans.
10. Dogs are silly. Chance keeps us laughing with his crazy antics. I love seeing him run in circles chasing his tail; it’s the best thing ever.
11. Dogs teach responsibility. One thing I love about having a dog is how it teaches responsibility with our teens. They have to help take care of Chance every day, walking him, cleaning up after him, feeding him and bathing him.
12. They love long car rides. Whenever I go for the keys and start the truck, Chance knows that means someone is leaving. He will go by the door, wagging his tail with anticipation of going on a car ride. His face is so sad when we can’t take him with us, but boy, when we do, he can’t wait to hop in the SUV and go for a ride.
13. Dogs can be a security system. While we do believe in having a security system, dogs will alert you when someone approaches the house. If it’s a burglar, this could be a great way for them to scurry away, unsure of what could be waiting for them on the other side of the door.
14. Dogs will do whatever it takes. In A Dog’s Way Home, Bella did not stop searching for Lucas. It took her more than two winters to find Lucas, but she was determined to “go home” regardless of the cost. Dogs are just cool like that. They are determined creatures, doing whatever it takes to make you happy.
15. Dogs are great for therapy. If you’re going through a hard time, depression, illness, or have a disability; dogs are great therapy animals. Even if you don’t get a specialized therapy friend, just having a dog around to comfort you, cheering you up, and watching out for you is pretty awesome. Dogs are also great for kids with Autism, something we know a little about in the Worthey household.
16. Dogs are the perfect stress reliever. If you work in a stressful environment or continuously under a lot of stress, dogs are a great stress reliever. They can take that negative energy and transform it into something magical. Don’t believe me? Get a dog, and you’ll see exactly what I mean!
17. Dogs have no chill. Now, you might not think this reason is magical, but it is. Our Chance is always on 10. And while some may find this annoying, we love that he is full of life and happiness. Happy dogs are the best.
18. They love you. Dogs really love you, maybe even more than some of your closest friends and family. They care about you and want what’s best for you. They are your biggest cheerleaders, rooting for you all the way.
This line in A Dog’s Way Home stood out to me, “The invisible leash that led me to Lucas was made of love. He was my person, and I was his dog.” This sums up how we feel about our dog. We are his people, and he is our dog. Without Chance, our life would not be the same. Our fur baby Chance brings so many happy vibes into our days and nights, into our hearts and mostly into our home.
Owning a dog is a lot of responsibility, but the benefits are the best. We had no idea our adorable chocolate labradoodle could bring this much fun into our lives, something we all needed. Of course, there are pros and cons to owning a dog, but we believe the pros outweigh the cons, and we encourage everyone to own a dog. Because giving a dog a home is giving love a place to grow.
A Dog’s Way Home chronicles the heartwarming adventure of Bella, a dog who embarks on an epic 400-mile journey home after she is separated from her beloved human.