Double Chocolate Buttermilk Waffles with Bananas
It’s the perfect Saturday morning. You wake up to the smell of bacon and waffles! Before you can roll over, the hubby comes up with a Starbucks latte and a place with Chocolate Buttermilk Waffles and bacon. Tons of bacon!
This is better than waking up to Folger’s in your cup, trust me! We are big breakfast foodies over here. We will eat breakfast any time of the day. We love coming up with new takes on your classic waffle recipe, and this one is a win-win in our house now!
If you’re looking for a new twist on your regular waffle recipe, I want you to try these double chocolate buttermilk waffles!
Listed below are the ingredients and how to make it!
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 sticks sweet cream unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon + 1/3 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chip chunks
- 2 bananas, sliced
- Preheat Cuisinart 4-Slice Belgian Waffle Maker. And just before adding waffle batter, brush hot waffle iron with melted butter.
- Sift together flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, brown sugar and salt. Set side.
- Pour buttermilk into a bowl, add egg yolks, and vanilla then whisk well.
- In the bowl of a Kitchen Aid stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment add egg whites and beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Melt butter and set aside.
- Gently stir buttermilk, egg and vanilla mixture into the sifted flour mixture. Note: emphasis on gently, because over-mixed ingredients produce tough waffles.
- Very gently add melted butter until just combined, butter should be warm, NOT HOT.
- Now it’s time to fold (not stir) in those wonderful egg whites; this is your most secret weapon and how you’ll get stupid fluffy waffles. Trust. And it is okay if you see wisps of egg whites, don’t panic they will be cook up just fine.
- Spoon batter into waffle iron and add a few chocolate chips!
- Cook just shy of five minutes.
- Remove waffles and brush more butter.
- Top with chocolate syrup, bananas, maple syrup or fresh fruit.
Large Serving Platter, Home Goods
Stand Mixer, Kitchen Aid
4-Slice Belgian Waffle Maker,Cuisinart
Measuring Cup, Pyrex