A healthy and delicious salad is just what the doctored ordered. This fall salad is filled with fresh veggies and farro made in the Instant Pot. Grab the recipe for our Mixed Veggie Farro Salad below using Bob’s Red Mill farro.
Mixed Veggie Farro Salad Made In The Instant Pot
Have you ever had farro? First, it’s a very rustic and versatile grain, and it dates back thousands of years. I must admit, I don’t know what they did with it way back in the day, but I will show how I recently used farro to make this fresh salad with lots of veggies.
Bob’s Red Mill Farro is a versatile grain that is as versatile as it is nutritious and good!
What is farro?
Farro is an old world grain; its origins date back to civilizations known as the Fertile Crescent. Even the ancient Greeks prepared meals with farro, but today you are more likely to find it predominantly being used in the geographic locals of Ethiopian, Mediterranean, and Middle Eastern regions. However, that’s changing. There are so many ways to use farro; in soups, stews, casseroles, and even stir-fry. And that’s just the short list. Farro is now being used in lots of diverse America recipes.
Adding lemon zest is a quick and easy way to brighten up almost any savory meal.
Why you should eat farro
Is farro good for you? You have no idea. We’re talking high-fiber here and a great source of protein. Another added benefit, it is a very low-gluten grain which makes it ideal for those with gluten intolerance. I admire its hearty flavor, and it makes for a great ingredient in lots of hearty and robust soups and stews. However, today, I have opted to take a much lighter route, and the results were delicious and satisfying.
The use of chopped walnuts compliments the nutty flavor of farro, and since farro isn’t as heavy as whole wheat grains only increases it multipurpose.
How to make farro in the Instant Pot
Typically, farro cooks on the stove top in twenty-five (25 minutes), but we’re using an Instant Pot, which cuts the cooking time in half (to 12 minutes). This leaves you plenty of time to prepare all of the fresh and colorful ingredients for your tasty farro salad.
Ingredients for a farro salad
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Farro
- 4 cups of water or broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 medium Mexican peppers, sliced
- 2 cobs of sweet corn, kernels removed
- 1/4 cup tri-colored raisins
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- pinch coarse sea salt
How to put together a farro salad
- Prepare farro in an Instant Pot by adding two (2) cups of farro and four (4) cups of liquid. I used water for this recipe.
- Slid the lid and lock into place, then select the Rice function. Make sure the vent is in the closed position.
- Zest the lemon and juice the lemon. Prep all of the veggies, chop the red onions, slice the peppers, chop the walnuts, and remove the sweet corn from the cobs.
- After the farro is finished cooking, vent off the steam and remove the lid. Drain off any remaining liquid, and transfer the farro to a large bowl. Using a large spoon gently stir the grain to release the heat, then place the bowl into the fridge to cool for twenty (20) minutes.
- Place a skillet on the stovetop over medium-high heat, add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, when the oil is hot add the kernels of sweet corn, sauté for several minutes adding only a pinch of coarse sea salt.
- Remove the bowl of farro from the fridge and add the lemon zest and juice, red onions, Mexican peppers, walnuts, raisins, and sweet corn. Gently fold all of the ingredients together. Place the salad into the refrigerator to chill or serve immediately.
This summer I couldn’t get enough of our local sweet corn on the cob. I added two cobs of sweet corn kernels to this already delicious recipe and was rewarded with a vibrant pop of color and the irresistible flavor of one of my favorite summer foods. After a quick sauté with a slight drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, the folded the sweet corn into the mix.
I think I found my go-to salad for the summer and fall seasons. Not too heavy and lots of texture, this salad doesn’t short change you on flavor either.