Gold & Sweet Homemade Tater Tots
Okay, here’s the story. Me, her, myself and the wife (confused yet?) journeyed to Gracie’s Place in Williamson, Michigan for a lunch date. This quaint little spot is one of our favorite places to eat. The menu is always a cha cha changin’ and the cook staff are constantly coming up with new twists on old favorites or altogether new creations. Long story short, recently they had these cool little tater tots made out of a mashed potatoes mixture and they were quite tasty. I thought to myself, “I can do this…” So, later I put together my own homemade tater tots. Ladies and gentlemen I present the Gold & Sweet Homemade Tater Tots. No, not real gold but Yukon Gold and we ain’t talking about sugar sweet but I incorporated the taste of savory Sweet Potatoes.
For this recipe you’ll need the following ingredients:
This recipe will yield 10-15 tater tots
- 1 cup of Yukon Gold Potato, smashed
- 1 cup of Sweet Potato, smashed
- 1 cup of Panko Bread Crumbs
- 3 tablespoons of Sweet Cream Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup of a good White Cheddar
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon Rosemary, chopped fine
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 cops Vegetable for frying
Wash and clean Yukon and Sweet potatoes, cut off any bad spots on potatoes but leave most of the skin on potatoes and quarter them. Place potatoes in a large stock pot and let boil until potatoes are fork tender. Pour cooked potatoes into a colander and drain. Set aside
In a medium size skillet sauté diced onions using 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, keep stirring with a wooden spoon until onions are translucent then add minced garlic and stir for another minute. Scrap onion and garlic mixture into a small bowl then set aside.
Take a separate bowl and add entire 6 ounce container of French’s French Fried Onion and crush thoroughly with hand. Set aside.
Place cooked potatoes in a large mixing bowl and break apart with a fork. Do not mashed potatoes, leave them slightly chunky. Add butter, sautéed onions, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, garlic, Rosemary, buttermilk, egg white, salt and pepper to taste and mix until all ingredients are incorporated. Using a tablespoon scoop out enough of the potato mixture to form into a golf ball sized shape using the palms of your hands. Then roll potato balls in crumbled French onion until they are completely covered, press them slightly in the palm of your hand to make sure crumbled French onions stick, then;
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep-fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C)
- Deep fry the tater tots a few at a time for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- When finished remove from oil and place on a screen or plate with paper towels to absorb excess oil, let cool then serve.