Tutorial: How To Make Grumpy Cat Cupcakes
You know you love him… you just can’t it help. The world has fallen in a love/hate relationship with Grumpy Cat. He says what the rest of us are thinking, and doesn’t apologize for it. Mean things like ”Falalala NO”, and “I have this state where people annoy me and I don’t want to be around them… I call it awake”. He truly deserves to be immortalized on baked goods. Make your favorite box or homemade cupcakes as the base for these fun treats. I promise you these may seem a bit difficult, but they are really not hard to make. I tried to create a simple step by step tutorial as I could. All you need are a few cake supplies, a paintbrush and a small inexpensive paintbrush (like the kind in a child’s watercolor set).
- white cream cheese frosting (amount will depend on how many you make)
- chocolate frosting
- blue m&m’s
- almond slivers
- red writing gel
- chocolate chips
- small rubber spatula
Make your cupcakes as directed on the back of the box (or your favorite homemade cupcake recipe).
When your cupcakes are completely cool you are ready to decorate Grumpy Cat.
First, we are going to make his ears so the chocolate can be hardening and setting up while we work on the rest of his face. Use about 2 tsp. of chocolate chips for each set of ears. You will need to melt the chocolate in a small microwave safe dish, heating for 20 seconds at a time and stirring each time until smooth and completely melted. Scoop melted chocolate into a small plastic zip top bag (right into the bottom corner) snip off a small piece of the corner. “Draw” ears onto waxed paper with chocolate bag and fill it in. Use paint brush to brush white frosting through chocolate to create a furred look to the inside of ears. Place in refrigerator to speed up set time.
1. Frost cupcake using the small rubber spatula with cream frosting.
2. Paint circles in eye area with chocolate frosting using small paintbrush, then spread it up and in on the top inside “corners” and down and out a bit on the furthest outside “corners”
3. Add almond sliver for nose and draw on his frown with red writing gel.
4. Add ears by pressing hardened chocolate lightly into top of frosting.
5. Add blue m&m’s to the center of brown circles you made, dot on pupils with paintbrush dipped in chocolate frosting.
Mr. Grumpy pants is ready to go to the office or wherever you want to add a fun treat. Because we know Grumpy Cat hates all things, we should official name these cupcakes – “I hate cupcakes!”
Enjoy! If you make these Grumpy Cat Cupcakes, come back and let me know how well they turned out for you!