Breakfast is served! Or brunch, maybe even a late night snack. With our version of a BLT, we call it our Loaded Breakfast Toast. And it’s piled high with crispy thick-cut bacon, tomatoes, avocado, lettuce, and vegan mayo. Get the recipe down below!
Loaded Breakfast Toast
Hiya doin’? Good? Good! Isn’t it odd to think just how amazing toast can be? Maybe you’re like me, maybe not so much a bread fan as you are a mega fanatic for skillet toast! Yes, skillet toast! Because good bread needn’t go in the toaster. To do justice to a nice quality artisan slice of bread is to slater both side with a good grade of butter and toast both sides in a scorching cast iron skillet. The results are an evenly toasted, buttery, and soulfully satisfying upgrade that only quality toast can achieve.
Bread. Meh. Toast. Yeah! Kinda the same thing but different. For me, regular bread is nothing but raw toast, and like most things raw they’re elevated by the application of evenly distributed heat and melted sweet cream butta’! Are you salivating yet? If so, you and I are on the same team. But, like so many of our favorite edible things they can be laden with fat. And fat can be good or bad, it depends. Butterfat, while so tasty, isn’t so good for us, but there’s also good fat. The kind of fat found in avocados, fish oil, and extra virgin olive oil. So, in an attempt to trim down the fat quotient I omitted the melty sweet cream butter and used extra virgin olive oil. Here, I used both avocado and extra virgin olive oil, and I also used some vegan mayonnaise I picked up about a week ago. Then I made the regular old toast even better! I loaded it up with lots and lots of other undeniable good stuff.
This is my version of a pimped out BLT. Yep, I got crispy thick-cut bacon, ripe, juicy tomatoes, and shredded red oak lettuce. So, “lettuce” stop talking and go make something good to eat. Did you see what I did right there? I know it was corny, but you’re smiling!
I am not one to toot my own horn unless it’s absolutely necessary, and by the looks of this beauty, it is so very necessary!
Breakfast is served!
Loaded Breakfast Toast
- 1/2 avocado peeled, seed removed and cut into thin slices
- 1 small red onion cut in half and chopped
- 1 Roma tomato, cut into half slices
- 2 leaves red oak lettuce, washed, spun, and chopped
- 2 slices artisan bread
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayo, divided
- Prep the veggies beforehand, peel the avocado and remove the seed, then cut the avocado into thin slices. Peel and chop a single red onion in half, then chop the onion.
- Cut the Roma tomato into slices, then cut the slices in half. Wash and spin lettuce to remove excess moisture, chop the lettuce.
- Place veggies into serving bowls and place in the fridge to chill.
- Place a skillet over med-high heat, when the skillet is hot cook the thick-cut bacon until it is crispy. Remove the bacon and place it on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb grease.
- Set bacon aside. Pour off the bacon grease and wipe the skillet clean and place over med-high heat.
- Brush two slices of artisan bread with olive oil and place them into the hot skillet, toast until the bread is golden brown, flip the bread over and toast.
- Transfer toasted bread onto a plate and spread vegan mayo on top of each slice of toast. Add avocado, tomatoes, red onion, lettuce, and thick-cut bacon on top.
Be sure to pin this on your breakfast recipe board: