Easy Christmas cookie recipe to make with peppermint – Chocolate Chip & Oatmeal Cookies with Candy Cane Buttercream. Turn your love for oatmeal pies into a festive holiday cookie recipe.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip & Candy Cane Buttercream Sandwiches
Fresh from A Worthey Kitchen. Cookies, cookies, and more cookies. No, it’s not Cookie Monster that’s just me. And I am super excited about these cookies! Because if you love cookies and candy canes like I love cookies and candy canes then it is high time you get these two yummy festive flavors together and have the ultimate holiday flavored mouth party! This one takes cookies and cream to a higher level. And chances are you probably haven’t had two fresh out of the oven warm oatmeal chocolate chip cookies with candy cane buttercream (made with Ghiradelli Peppermint Bark) thrown in the middle. And if not, well we’re going to fix that little oversight right here and right now. But be warned once you get a load of these delicious morsels they might just become your new favorite cookies. Stick around and take a look-see below, because it is there that you will find the complete Oatmeal Chocolate Chip & Candy Cane Buttercream Sandwiches recipe. Ready! On your mark! Get Set! Bake! Let’s do this!
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 1/4 cups Quaker Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 stick plus 2 tbsp Land O’ Lakes unsalted sweet cream butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1 egg, plus one egg white
- 1 tsp McCormick’s pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Ghiradelli dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, Kosher salt and rolled oats in a medium-size bowl. Mix with a fork until all ingredients are incorporated. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment add softened butter and whisk until just fluffy.
- Add granulated and brown sugar and cream together and beat for 40 seconds.
- Add pure vanilla extract, one egg plus egg white and mix on medium speed until just incorporated.
- Add corn syrup and beat for an additional minute.
- With the mixer on its lowest setting gradually add flour mixture a little at a time until flour mixture has been completely added to the butter and sugar.
- Next, fold in dark chocolate chips and mix.
- Remove bowl.
- Using an ice cream scoop, place cookie dough into the palm of your hand and work into a ball.
- Place cookie dough on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or use a silicone baking mat. Space cookies 2 inches apart and bake for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before transferring cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place a cookie upside down and spoon then spread about a tbsp of candy cane buttercream (recipe below) onto a cookie, top with a right-side-up cookie and there you have it, the spirit of Christmas in edible form! Gosh! Santa is going to so love these!
How to make Candy Cane Buttercream
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 packages of Ghiradelli Peppermint Bark (0.83 ounce), chopped
- 4 tbsp crushed candy cane
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add powdered sugar, softened butter, and whisk together until fluffy.
- Add crushed candy cane and chopped Ghiradelli Peppermint Bark. Beat together for another minute. Use right away or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.