“This post has been sponsored by Mott’s. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”
Freshen up the lunch box with our Peanut Butter Walnut Cookie Squares recipe, a fancy sandwich idea, and the best snacks + juice to include in your child’s lunchbox. Our lunch box ideas are just what you need to try this week!
Lunch Box Ideas | Oatmeal Chunky Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
Christmas break is over, and all of the kids are back to their regularly programmed schedules. You may have heard me yelling with joy at the top of my voice. You, too—right?
We love our kids, but the time between Christmas and the new year is the longest Monday ever. Everyone is off their schedules, going to bed at odd hours of the night, and we all walk around wondering, “Is today Wednesday?”
As I work on prepping for the new year, new schedules, and healthy meal planning ideas, I’m also working on coming up with new lunchbox ideas for my boys.
They often make their lunches, and you can probably guess the items they stick in their lunch bag.
However, when I do my grocery shopping, I am intentional about the products I purchase for lunches. So, even if they do pack their lunches, I know they can only grab the good stuff out of the fridge and pantry. One of those long-standing brands we love and have shared before is Mott’s.
Why Moms love Mott’s products
I love purchasing Mott’s products because I know I’m going to get a great quality product that is also healthy for my kids. Mott’s Applesauce packs are perfect for lunches as well as being a great source of Vitamin C! Plus, we can get great savings on Mott’s when we stock up at Dollar General – making budgeting even easier for the new year.
We also like Mott’s 100% Original Apple Juice. I can buy an 8 pack of bottles for lunches, then purchase a 64 oz bottle to have at home.
Mott’s has a variety of products. We have tried them all and use them for on-the-go snacks, lunches, and after-school snacks.
As a mom, I worry about getting everything right. But, I don’t. I fail a lot. However, I have learned that comes with the job. I’ve also learned that I can only do so much. Choosing the right products is one of the things I can get right. I don’t have to worry when I pick up Mott’s products from stores like Dollar General. I know I am going to get a great product at a reasonable price. And, you can save money by using their digital coupon offers.
Items to put in a lunch box
Plus, did you know that you can purchase a variety of lunch items at Dollar General? (Find one near you here)
Not only can you buy Mott’s products from Dollar General but they also carry:
- peanut butter
- Mott’s 100% Original Apple Juice (64oz & 6pk/8oz)
- Mott’s Unsweetened Applesauce (any size)
- Mott’s Original Applesauce (6pk)
- Mott’s Mango Applesauce (6pk)
- sandwich bags
- lunch bags
- sliced cheese
One thing our boys love is when Derrick whips up a batch of square cookies for their lunches. They also love it when we create “fancy” sandwiches for them. We’re sharing both of those recipes down below.
Whole Wheat Salami & Turkey Sandwich
- 2 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- 2 slices low-fat Swiss cheese
- 2-3 slices turkey breast
- 2 slices Genoa salami
- 3-4 sliced cucumbers
- 2 tomato slices
- sweet red onion slices
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light mayo
- Assemble sandwich and pack into a lunch box. This pairs well with Mott’s Applesauce, fresh fruit, and Mott’s 100% Apple Juice.
How to make Peanut Butter Walnut Cookie Squares
Mott’s Applesauce is not just for eating as a snack, it also goes great in a variety of recipes. With our Peanut Butter Walnut Cookie Squares, using applesauce gives it such a great taste!
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Walnut Cookie Squares
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 light brown sugar
- 1/4 granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped walnut
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 cup browned butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 room temperature egg
- 3/4 cup Mott’s Original Applesauce
Directions for Peanut Butter Walnut Cookie Squares
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Place a medium saucepan over medium heat and brown two sticks of unsalted butter stir with a whisk for seven to eights minutes until the butter starts to foam and the fat solids begin to brown. Remove the butter from heat and stir in the light brown sugar and granulated sugar.
- Fold a single room temperature farm fresh egg into the browned butter and sugar mixture until the egg is fully incorporated.
- Stir in the pure vanilla extract and crunchy peanut butter, continue to stir until the mixture is completely mixed.
- A little at a time add the wet mixture to the dry mixture with the stand mixer on its lowest setting.
- When the wet mixture and dry ingredients are well mixed add the chopped walnuts and milk chocolate chips.
- Trim parchment paper to fit over a 13″x9″ cookie sheet, spoon the cookie dough mixture onto the cookie sheet and spread evenly.
- Bake the cookie dough sheet cookie for 22-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the sheet cookie to cool.
- Cut into squares and serve.
These cookies are a huge hit in the Worthey household. Coming up with fresh ideas for school lunches doesn’t have to be hard when you incorporate tried-and-true recipes.
What are some of your favorite lunch box ideas? Drop a few down below, and we’ll give them a try.
You can find Mott’s products at your local Dollar General store. These are tried-and-true quality products that moms trust and kids love!