I love a good iced sugar cookie, and since October is the traditional month for breast cancer awareness, why not enjoy a special treat while also making others aware of a worthy cause? These are a great delicious way to share with your friends and family about something you are passionate about in an easy way.
Pink Ribbon Breast Cancer Awareness Iced Sugar Cookies
Whether you have personally gone through the struggle of a breast cancer diagnosis, or simply want to be an advocate for those who have, making yummy iced sugar cookies that have a breast cancer awareness theme is a great way. I’ve shared my best friend’s journey through cancer recently here on the blog. I love the idea of making double batches of these and simply putting in cute cookie boxes and handing out to you neighbors, the teachers at your kid’s school, or as a special after dinner treat that you can also use as a talking point with your kids.
Ingredients Pink Ribbon Sugar Cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (3 sticks) at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar + 1/4 cup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup Wilton hot pink chocolate melts
- 1/2 cup Wilton white chocolate melts
- Wilton disposable candy decorating bag
Directions for Pink Ribbon Sugar Cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add the softened butter and sugar.
5. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar on high for 3 to 5 minutes or until the mixture is light and fluffy.
6. Adjust the mixer speed to low and add the eggs and vanilla. Using a rubber spatula, be sure to scrape the bowl to get all ingredients Mixed thoroughly.
7. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed for 30-45 seconds, scraping the bowl if necessary.
8. Add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar into a small bowl.
9. Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dough into balls and roll into the bowl with sugar.
10. Place the sugar-coated dough balls onto the baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
11. Using a drinking glass, press down on each cookie to flatten – about 1/4 inch thick.
12. Bake at 350 degrees for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown (oven temps vary).
13. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to completely cool.
14. Place hot pink chocolate melts in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 40 seconds. Stir until completely melted. You may have to continue microwaving at 10 second intervals until melted. Let set for one minute.
15. Frost each cooled sugar cookie with the melted hot pink chocolate. Set aside.
16. Place the white chocolate melts into the Wilton decorating bag and twist the bag above the melts.
17. Microwave on defrost setting for one minute. Knead the bag to fully incorporate and melt the white candy pieces.
18. Continue to microwave and knead at 30 second intervals until the candy is smooth and completely melted.
19. Once melted, snip off the tip of the bag and gently squeeze the melted candy onto each cookie in the shape of a white ribbon.
Make these delicious iced sugar cookies as a great way to celebrate breast cancer awareness in the month of October Share with friends and family, or simply enjoy and take the time to honor and remember those who have struggled and survived a battle with cancer in their past.