Sandusky, Ohio holds many treasures and things to do besides going to Cedar Point. Besides being known as the roller coaster capital of the world, there are several Things That Will Surprise You About What’s In Sandusky Ohio.
10 Things That Will Surprise You About What’s In Sandusky Ohio
If you’ve heard of Sandusky, Ohio, it’s probably because of one of the biggest amusement parks and roller coaster capital of the world. I’ve been to Sandusky several of times, specifically to Cedar Point. However, last year, the family and I had a great time exploring the Lake Erie Love area. You can read about some of our favorite things we discovered here.
So back to Sandusky. This past summer while spending time in the 2017 Kia Sorento, I was able to explore the heart of Sandusky, and I’m going to share with y’all what I found.
Small Town Charm
If you know me, you know I have a thing for small towns. Sandusky’s downtown, the people, their values, unique shops, and of course, the food brings it all together to show off their Midwest charm.
Toft Dairy. Do you want the best ice cream? Then you need to make a trip to Toft’s, found in Sandusky. Where else can you go to get a large amount of ice-cream for a few bucks?
Take a Segway tour. A unique way to explore a city is to take a Segway tour. The owner of Sandusky’s Segway tour felt the same way and opened up this unique attraction earlier this year. He believes that one business can change a town’s environment. He started out as a Segway driver, with a joke of starting his own one day. After working for another Segway company for six years, he struck out on his own to bring this fun tour to Sandusky. This is a great activity to do in Sandusky when you need a break from Cedar Point!
Art + Culture
Sandusky offers museums that will take you back in time. If you haven’t visited the downtown area, you’re in for a treat!
Sandusky State Theatre. This historical landmark offers a large variety of shows. Watch an old favorite movie as part of their Movie Series, or laugh til your sides hurt at one of the comedy shows. If music is your thing, they have that, too! Several of the local museums are just a stroll away from the Theatre. This is another fun family-friendly activity to do when you need a theme park break!
Merry-Go-Round Museum. Have you ever been curious about the origins of the Merry-go-round? This museum will answer all of your questions and more while you learn all about the history and art of the carousel. Climb aboard the fully restored Allan Herschel Carousel and feel like a kid again. You’ll love the opportunity to watch one of the carvers create or restore one of these beautiful pieces of historical art.
Maritime Museum of Sandusky. Discover the rich maritime history of Sandusky at this fascinating museum loaded with maritime artifacts and interactive exhibits. You’ll step right back into the old days of boating on Lake Erie, learn about boat-building, wetlands, and even the role Sandusky played in the Underground Railroad! Step foot on one of the vessels and admire many others as you tour the museum.
Sports Force Park. This is a high-quality tournament park for baseball, softball, soccer, and lacrosse teams from all over the country. But it’s so much more than that. Challenge yourself to the Sky Trail Ropes Course. You’ll be secured with a harness as you navigate your way through the variety of paths, including a zipline. After your heart rate comes back to normal, enjoy the beautiful miniature golf course. Before you leave, strap back into a harness to go flying on the Sky Bounce Bungee Trampoline.
Ghostly Manor Thrill Center. The Travel Channel featured the Ghostly Manor Thrill Center on their “Best Places I’ve Ever Been” series, so you clearly don’t want to miss out! You’ll be enchanted as soon as you pull up to the dragon-laden castle. When we went as a family last year, the boys had a BLAST! This is a great family-friendly activity. Inside you can enjoy the thrill of being scared out of your wits in the haunted house any day of the year. There’s also a mini-golf course, a 4D Motion Theater, roller skating, an arcade, bounce houses, and a jungle gym! Something for everyone!
Air1 Airboats. Go flying across the bay in one of these unique airboats. The large propellor will get you moving as fast as 50mph all while you sit back and enjoy the views Sandusky has to offer. This was my first time going on an airboat ride. At first, I was a little cautious about hopping in a boat, going full speed at 50pmh. But, I have a thing for speed and I LOVED it! It’s also a great way to see Sandusky from the water.
Goodtime I Sunset Cruise. The Goodtime I is a cruise ship that sets sail all summer long. A midwest sunset is one you don’t want to miss, so I recommend hopping on the Sunset Bay Cruise to enjoy one right over Lake Erie. You’ll also be treated with some light entertainment while on board, and there’s always pizza and drinks to purchase. Plus, you can get some great photos of Cedar Point from the water.
To my surprise, Sandusky offers foodies several options.
- Small City Taphouse. Enjoy some classic Asian cuisine alongside a large selection of local and regional beers. They are known for their beer, but you’ll also find yourself drooling over the sushi.
- J Bistro. Order a glass of wine or a signature cocktail to compliment your high-end traditional American fare at this upscale restaurant in Sandusky.
- The Bates Farm Kitchen is fairly new around town. The food is always fresh and made from scratch and varies from a classic burger to tofu fried rice. You can even order seasonal produce grown at the Bates Heirloom Farms right from the restaurant.
- Dockside Café. Soak in the views of Sandusky Bay while dining outdoors at this seasonal cafe. It’s an excellent place to take a little break from your full day of Sandusky activities and enjoy fish tacos, burgers, fries, and more.
- BoomTown Coffee offers what is easily the best coffee in Sandusky. The menu also offers soups, salads, sandwiches, and grab-n-go breakfast items all from friendly staff.
- Osteria Gusto at Firelands Winery. This is an Exposition Kitchen, offering the opportunity to experience the entire process of your food being prepared. The round seating bar and the audio and visual technologies allow everyone to see all that is involved in preparing each dish. It is located at the Firelands Winery which boasts incredible local wines, and offers tours to get an inside look into their authentic working winery.
- Moseley’s Public House. Located in Hotel Kilbourne, you can access this unique bar from the Lake or the Lobby. It is a hotspot for locals and tourists alike. Head up to the rooftop for some incredible views to enjoy alongside your cold beer or signature cocktail.
While Cedar Point is a favorite attraction in Sandusky, and likely what has put it on the map, you’ll find no shortage of wonderful food and exciting entertainment surrounding the beloved amusement park. Next time you’re in Sandusky, plan to stay for awhile!
Latest posts by T Worthey (see all)
- I’m Going To Meet Oprah + Ava | A Wrinkle In Time Press Junket - February 22, 2018
- A Look At Black Panther’s Design + Production with Hannah Beachler + Ruth E. Carter - February 20, 2018
- Black Superhero Action Figures + Black Panther Merchandise - February 16, 2018