Our shortcake recipe will leave you drooling and running to the kitchen to make your own Blueberry & Strawberry Shortcake Recipe with Lemon Zest Whip Cream.
Blueberry & Strawberry Shortcake Recipe with Lemon Zest Whip Cream
Summer is finally here! Undoubtedly there will be a lot of good memories made in the hot days of summer. And for my Blueberry & Strawberry Shortcake Recipe with Lemon Zest Whip Cream; it is rooted in long gone but scrumptious memories of my mom making Strawberry Shortcake in the summers of my own childhood. This is a super easy, delicious, and majorly refreshing summer dessert that’ll leave an indelible impression on your joyous summertime memories as well.
I have tried several versions of this recipe over the years, but after my son tried this one (my kids are my favorite food critics) and he said, “Dad this is really, really good,” I knew I had finally nailed it.
Here’s what you’ll need to make our Blueberry & Strawberry Shortcake Recipe with Lemon Zest Whip Cream
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh blueberries, divided
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup of water plus 2 tablespoons of water
- In a medium saucepan combine 1 cup of blueberries with 3 tablespoons of sugar over high until mixture starts to boil, reduce to low heat and cook for 5 minutes, then cover and remove from heat.
- In a small bowl add 1 cup of sliced strawberries with 3 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons of cold water, refrigerate while juices develop, at least 30 minutes.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of uncooked fresh blueberries and 1/2 cup of sliced fresh strawberries for plating.
How to make Shortcake
- 2 cups of bread flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of refined sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sweet cream butter, melted
- 1 1/4 heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add heavy cream and mix until just combined. Brush melted butter in a shallow cupcake pan. Spoon shortcake mixture into the cupcake pan and bake until golden, 18 to 22 minutes.
- Remove shortcakes from pan and place on a rack to cool slightly.
Lemon Whipped Cream:
- 1 1/2 cups of 36% heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Using a stand mixer, beat the heavy cream, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice and lemon zest until soft peaks form, about 3 – 5 minutes. Place into refrigerator until needed.
Assemble the shortcakes
Spoon some of the cooked and fresh blueberries and strawberries with their juices onto each shortcake bottom. Top with a generous dollop of lemon whipped cream and then drizzle more juice and add more fruit on shortcake top.
Now let’s eat!
Lemon Whipped Cream: