We’ve taken ripe strawberries bursting with sweetness, homemade bourbon whipped cream, and shortcake biscuits with two ingredients that’ll make your taste buds do a reverse summersault to create this delicious summer dessert, Lemon Thyme Strawberry Shortcake.
Lemon Thyme Strawberry Shortcake
Strawberry shortcake is required table fare during summertime cookouts. After plates of barbecued ribs, gooey cheese dripping hamburgers, and hot dogs loaded with your favorite toppings save room for the belle of the summertime ball, strawberry shortcake!
Plus, strawberry shortcake is easy to put together. Macerate the strawberries in sugar and lemon juice the night before, and you’ll be ready to whip up the biscuits in as little as 30-minutes. You more than likely already have all of the ingredients in your pantry, and homemade whipped cream is a must!
What You Will Need To Make Our Lemon Thyme Strawberry Shortcake:
Fresh Strawberries. There’s something so wonderful about fresh-picked strawberries; who doesn’t remember berry-stained fingertips? However, frozen berries work well too!
Lemon Juice& Lemon Zest. When macerating the strawberries overnight or for a couple of hours, fresh-squeezed lemon juice is essential. If you’re in a pinch, bottled lemon juice does the job. And if you want to add an adult twist, use your favorite lemon liqueur. You’ll also need a bit of lemon zest for the biscuits. Sidebar: Make sure to zest the lemons before you extract the juice, it’ll make things a lot easier.
Sugar. For this recipe, you will need both granulated white sugar and a couple of tablespoons of light brown sugar. Use the granulated sugar for the strawberries and both granulated sugar and light brown sugar for the biscuits.
All-Purpose Flour, Baking Powder, Salt. When making the baking strawberry shortcake biscuits, these are the dry ingredients of choice. Add them and mix them up, and you are ready for the next steps. Gluten-Free works fine too.
Unsalted Butter. I only use 100% sweet cream unsalted butter, because it creates the best tasting biscuits. However, make adjustments as necessary. If dairy-free is your jam, by all means, use whatever you need to use to make you a happy camper.
Heavy Whipping Cream. In the supermarket, you may see heavy whipping cream or whipping cream; they’re mostly the same thing. If you are still not sure, read the label. You’re looking for at least 36% milkfat, and typically the higher the milk fat content, the longer the whipped cream will hold its shape.
Lemon Thyme. This is of my favorite my herbs, and it takes our strawberry biscuit recipe to new heights. If you don’t have lemon thyme, not to worry; just proceed without it (or use regular thyme), and everything will be alright. Promise.
Lemon Thyme Strawberry Shortcake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- freshly squeezed lemon juice from one lemon
- 1 stick unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon thyme leaves (optional)
- 4-5 sprigs of lemon thyme
- 1 1/4 heavy whipping cream
- Remove the green stems, rinse, and quarter the strawberries. Place the strawberries into a medium-size bowl and add the freshly squeezed lemon juice, and sugar. Stir gently and cover with plastic wrap, then place the berries into the fridge for two hours (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. To prepare the sugar, into a measuring cup, add the granulated white sugar, light brown sugar, lemon zest, and 3-4 sprigs of lemon thyme leaves, mix well and place the measuring cup on a sheet pan and place the measuring cup into the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the enhanced sugar to cool for ten minutes.
- To make the biscuit dough place the dry ingredients (all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and prepared sugar) into the bowl of a stand mixer, set the mixer speed to low, fitted with the whisk attachment, and combine the ingredients.
- Cut the stick of chilled butter into small cubes, and with the stand mixer on its lowest setting, add the cubes of butter and prepared sugar to the dry ingredients. Continue to allow the stand mixer to combine the ingredients until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Add the heavy cream a little at a time until the cream is fully incorporated into the dry ingredients, the dough will be slightly sticky.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a silicone sheet liner. Using a large ice cream scoop or a large wooden spoon, make eight mounds of pastry dough spaced at least two inches apart.
- Bake on the center rack at 400 degrees until the biscuits are golden brown along the bottom edges of the biscuits.
- Remove the cooking sheet from the oven and allow the biscuits to cool.
- Use a sharp knife slice the biscuits in half and place the bottom biscuit cut-side up on a saucer or serving plate, top the biscuits with whipped cream, fresh strawberries, and strawberry syrup. Place the other half of the biscuit on top and add more whipped cream, fresh strawberries, and homemade strawberry syrup.
- Garnish with a fresh sprig or two of lemon thyme.
Homemade Whipped Cream Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon bourbon whiskey (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Add the ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, set the speed to medium and whisk until soft peaks appear.
This strawberry shortcake recipe made with lemon thyme is the perfect summer dessert to serve at your next brunch, Juneteenth event, or a way to use up your strawberries. And if you’re looking for a good summer dinner idea to pair with our strawberry shortcake recipe, try Hickory Smoked Lamb Chops or Honey Pineapple Salmon.
Here are more strawberry recipes to try: