The holidays are all about food + entertaining. This holiday we are creating new traditions starting with our Hickory Smoked Lamb Chops using premium True Aussie Beef and Lamb products. Yes, we’re here with a delicious grilling suggestion, and it’s absolutely going to temp your taste buds! This post was sponsored by True Aussie Beef and Lamb.
Hickory Smoked Lamb Chops
The holidays are all about good food, so hear me out. Just because it’s December doesn’t mean you shouldn’t treat you and yours to the pleasures of grilled smoked infused meat. Yes, grilling entails a bit of work, but that’s half the fun. And just because it’s December don’t go singing, “Baby, it cold outside…”
Start with exceptional cuts of meat. First, grab some imported Australian Lamb (find a retailer near you)!
Question. What did the lamb say to the marinade? Answer. Is it BAAAAAAHHTH time?!
When you’re searing meat over a hot grate, don’t force it, the meat will release the grill when it’s good and ready.
Sear the lamb chop directly over the hot coals for 3-4 minutes.
How to finish grilled lamb chops
I finished the lamb chops in herbed browned butter, served over wild rice, and alongside grilled garlicky yellow and green zucchini. This is a delicious holiday eating. Bon appetit!
A couple of things. When you remove the lamb from the package, be sure to rinse the meat under a stream of cool water to remove any bone debris. Pat the lamb dry with paper towels to remove any excess moisture because the less water on the meat, the better it will absorb the salt, freshly cracked black peppercorns, and the marinade.
Also, don’t be in a hurry to put the cold meat on the grill. Cooking is, at times, a waiting game, and cooking meat over hot coals is a process that cannot be rushed.
So, allow the lamb to come to room temperature before placing it on the hot grate, and for the best results, I suggest marinating the lamb overnight in the fridge.
Can you get the same flavor with a shorter marinating time?
Yes, you can get some flavor into the meat with shorter marinating time, but this is the holidays and what we’re after here s creating an exceptional eating experience fit for the special occasion, let’s take our time and do it right.
Now, with a solid method for preparing the best lamb chops, you can prepare this delicious holiday day meal without a hitch. But of course, if you have any questions, drop me a line.
How to make Hickory Smoked Lamb Chops
- 6 Aussie Lamb & Beef Lamb Chops
- flaky sea salt
- freshly cracked black peppercorns
- Rinse and pat dry the lamb chops and liberally season both sides with flaky sea salt and freshly cracked black peppercorns.
- Allow the seasoned meat to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- 3/4 cup bourbon whiskey
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Into a bowl combine the bourbon whiskey, light brown sugar, extra virgin olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce.
- Pour the marinade into a large sealable plastic bag, and add the lamb chops, lay the bag flat onto a baking sheet, then place the sheet into the fridge overnight.
- Remove the lamb chops from the marinade and onto the baking sheet and allow the meat to come to room temperature in about 20-30 minutes.
- Get the charcoal grill going, arrange the charcoal briquets on one side of the grill creating both a hot-zone (direct heat) and a cooler zone (indirect heat).
- Use a wire brush to clean the grate if needed, then brush the grates with a high smoke point oil like canola or vegetable oil.
- Place the lamb chops directly onto the grate over the red-hot coals and sear the chops for 3-4 minutes, using a pair of tongs turn the lamb chops over but move them to the cooler side of the grill and close the lit for several more minutes or until you get the internal temperature you want — 120 degrees for rare, 125 medium-rare, 130 medium, and 145 for well-done. Note, how long you’ll need to cook your lamb chops will vary depending on the thickness of the cut and the temperature of the grill.
When it comes to cooking an above par meal, it’s all about achieving balance, and this marinated lamb chop recipe has it all and then some. Start with a premium piece of meat from True Aussie Beef and Lamb, learn more and find a retailer near you.