Serve up this easy breakfast casserole recipe for breakfast today. Savory crumbled sausage, eggs, hashbrowns, and cheese all baked into one cheesy and delicious casserole. A breakfast casserole that is great for serving a crowd or your family.
Easy Breakfast Casserole Recipe
This is one of my favorite breakfast dishes! Derrick loves to make this dish, and it’s a tradition to have it on Christmas morning. Once all of the boys have torn apart all of the wrapping paper and screamed with the joy of their awesome presents, we sit down and have a big Christmas brunch.
If you’re looking for breakfast recipes, be sure to check out the breakfast recipe section of the blog, including an easy breakfast recipe for Omelet Breakfast Bites and Zucchini & Sweet Potato Hash Brown Dish!
Variations For Breakfast Casserole
Meat | Feel free to swap out the sausage and use diced bacon, Canadian bacon, or even chorizo. Or if you are a meat lover add a few different types of meat to add more flavor to the dish.
Vegetables | Consider slice and tossing in some mushrooms for added flavor to the peppers and onions. It would give it an even heartier flavor if you enjoy mushrooms.
Hashbrowns | Instead of hashbrowns you can toss in cubed potatoes to replace shredded hashbrowns if you would like.
This casserole is versatile for sure. Have fun and use items in your fridge and pantry and see what you can create and devour with the family.
You are more than welcome to store your casserole in the refrigerator for up to three days in the fridge. You can just reheat up the leftovers and eat it like it was night one. This casserole stores well and is great for meal prepping for a few days out of the week.
In terms of freezing, I think you could freeze leftovers if you want. It will be a bit softer in texture but it will still showcase the incredible flavor. You can reheat it straight from frozen or allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight before you got to reheat the hashbrown sausage casserole.
Does This Recipe Double Well
If you have a larger family or plan to serve up your family and guests you can make a double batch of this hashbrown breakfast casserole. Just reach for a larger baking dish or use two pans to make extra of this breakfast casserole.
Ingredients for the easiest breakfast casserole recipe
- 1 Bag of Hash Brown Potatoes
- 1 tube of Italian Sausage
- 1 package of Smoked Gruyere Cheese
- 1 Large Sweet Vidalia Onion
- 1 Large Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper
- 8 Eggs
- 2 Cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Can of Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 Cup of Whole Milk
- 1 Cup of Panko Bread Crumbs
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Kosher Salt
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh Parsley
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
1. Slice onion and slowly caramelize in a sauté pan with 1 tablespoon of butter, about 20 minutes, then set aside.
2. Chop green and red peppers and set them aside.
3. Brown hash browns with Kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper, and Old Bay seasoning, then set aside.
4. In a saucepot, combine 1 cup of milk, cream of mushroom, and chicken soup, stir on medium heat until smooth, set on low heat until ready to add to the casserole.
5. After hash browns are finished, wipe the skillet clean and set it on medium heat. In a bowl, crack eight eggs and mix with about a 1/3 cup of milk, kosher salt, and cracked black pepper. Add about two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to the skillet, and when oil is hot, slowly stir in eggs. When the eggs are finished, set them aside.
6. In a large casserole dish, start layering ingredients like you would a lasagna, start with putting a little sauce in first, add a layer of hash browns, and then add some scrambled eggs, then the veggies, then some sausage. This recipe will allow for two layers of ingredients, then top with the gruyere cheese and Panko bread crumbs, and fresh parsley.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Find more casserole recipes to try below: