A sweet and salty pairing is what you will get in this Valentine’s turtle candy with rolos recipe. A salty pretzel that is topped with chocolate caramel, and pecan. Then drizzle with white chocolate and sprinkles for a fun Valentine’s Day treat to serve up family, friends, or gift to neighbors.
Valentine’s Turtle Candy with Rolos
Place some of these chocolate pretzels in a sealable bag, mason jar, etc. Add in some festive ribbon, and a cute sign and you have a really affordable and simple gift. This turtle pretzel recipe is a no-fuss dessert. This recipe is quick to make and ready in about 15 minutes. The hardest part is allowing the candies to cool down once you pull them from the oven.
What are the best pretzels to use?
I prefer to use the classic pretzel. As you will put your chocolate candy in the center, you have all the pretzel pieces touching to help allow the chocolate to not melt right off. Square pretzels would also be a great alternative. And if you are gluten-free, go right ahead and reach for your favorite gluten-free brand of pretzels to replace the classic ones.
What Is The Best Chocolate Covered Caramel To Use
Personally, I find that Rolo candies do the best job. It will melt a bit and when you press down on the pecan you can see a bit of the thick caramel ooze out.
Variations To Turtle Rolo Candies
- Use colored M&M’s to put in the center of the treat, to replace the pecan. They have a pink mix for Valentine’s day.
- Drizzle the pretzels with a red or pink-colored candy wafer chocolate to let the dessert stand out a bit more.
- Swap out the role with a mini Reese’s peanut butter cup for a peanut butter twist. etc
There are so many ways you can decorate or change up this recipe to fit your personal liking.
Storage for Valentine’s Turtle Candy with Rolos
You can keep your Valentine’s Day pretzels in an airtight container on the counter for around a week. Just make sure the area is not too hot, or you can melt the chocolate.
If you don’t plan to eat all of your treats right away, you can freeze the remaining candies. Just allow the caramel pretzels to fully cool. Then place in a freezer bag or airtight freezer container. Freeze for around 3 months. Thaw on the counter for a few hours until fully thawed before serving them up.
Create More Valentine’s Day Desserts
- Valentine’s Day Treats for Kids
- Festive Valentine’s Day Grazing Board
- Homemade Gumdrops
- Jello Hearts
Ingredients needed for Turtle Candy:
the same number of each:
- Salted Pretzels
- Chocolate Covered Carmel Candy
- Pecans, whole halves
- 1/2 to 1 1/2 cups White Chocolate Chips (the exact amount depends on the number of turtles you are making – we used about 1 cup for 28 turtles)
- Colorful Valentine’s Candy or Sprinkles of Your Choice
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and arrange pretzels on it in a single layer.
- Put one chocolate covered caramel candy on top of each pretzel.
- Bake in the oven for 3-4 minutes or until chocolate softens and starts to melt (be careful not to over bake).
- While pretzels are in the oven, melt white chocolate chips in a microwave-safe dish for 1-2 minutes, be careful not to leave it in the microwave too long or it will become hard.
- Remove pretzels from the oven and press one pecan onto the top of each candy and drizzle melted white chocolate over the top.
- Sprinkle Valentine’s candy and/or sprinkles on top quickly before the chocolate cools.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
Can I Make This Dessert In Advance
Go right ahead and make this dessert a day or two in advance. It will store well and is a great way to cut out some prep work if you have other things you need to take care of. Just whip these up, and then store them in an airtight container once they are fully cooled.
- Melting chocolate disks of any color can be used instead of white chocolate chips.
- We used Rolos for our candy.
- Be sure not to use unsalted pretzels, the turtles taste much better with the salt.
- TIP: When drizzling the white chocolate in step 5, you can spoon the melted chocolate into a sandwich bag and cut one of the corners off to make your own piping set or you can use a spoon.
- To cool the turtles more quickly, they can be put in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.
Whether you’re making them for a classroom treat or spending Valentine’s Day in quarantine, this will be a fun way to celebrate the holiday!