Are you trying to head to Chicago right now? During a pandemic, it can be stressful to try and figure out what to do. However, if you need to get into the city for a moment to catch your breath, there are some things you can still do! Check out this list of What’s open in Chicago right now to find something fun, yet safe to do.
What’s Open In Chicago Right Now | Things To Do
You know my family LOVES to travel to Chicago. When things get back to normal, I look forward to heading to Chicago to do these 31 free things. Traveling to Chicago in the coming weeks or days and wanting to have the best experience possible? While things are much different now due to COVID-19, there are still several ways to have funfilled adventures while staying safe and exploring Chicago.
One of our favorite places to get pizza in Chicago is Lou Malnati’s!
Many places are still open and are taking additional precautionary measures to keep their guests as safe as possible while they explore, try new things, and get a feel for everything that Chicago has to offer. With plans to travel to the area soon, consider adding these five fun yet safe things to do to your itinerary.
- Known as a popular tourist attraction in the city of Chicago, Chinatown is full of Chinese culture and history, including delicious food that you can order to go. It is home to many neat spots, such as eateries, gift shops, and stores that sell only Chinese products, including medicine and groceries, used to cook different meals.
- Head over to the Chicago Outerbelt to walk on an extensive trail that will take you past some suburbs in Chicago. You will get to see many places while walking through the Chicago Outerbelt trail, including the Cook County Forest and the Chicago Park District. The trail itself is 200 miles, so do not expect to walk it all in one day!
- Ride on the Mercury Cruiseline to experience fun on the water while learning new things. While enjoying the stunning sights, the tour guide will provide you and your loved ones with plenty of useful information on the city of Chicago and its rich history. You can head out on the water both day and night.
- Book reservations to visit the Lincoln Park Zoo. The zoo is large and spacious, consisting of 35 acres. It is home to some of the most amazing animals, including rhinos, zebras, camels, seals, iguanas, monkeys, and more. You will love spending time with all these unique and exciting species while learning new things about them.
- Stop by Millennium Park to see some of the stunning exhibitions and the various events that take place there throughout the year. Some of the things that are currently open include The Great Lawn, Wrigley Square, and the Crown Fountain. You can take a stroll through the park or even take a seat and grab a bite to eat. The Park Grill Cafe is currently open and offers outdoor dining options to guests who enjoy a tasty meal during their visit.
- Take a guided kayak tour on the lake with Urban Kayaks. You can make reservations for a time that works best for you, whether you want to go kayaking in the morning, middle of the day, or even at night. You will have the opportunity to enjoy the view while riding on the water and learning about the urban environment.
- Go on a walking tour led by experienced guides who are ready to tell you all about Chicago and its history. Chicago Detours was voted the Best Tour of Chicago in 2019, and with good reason. You will get to go on a walking tour while checking out some of the amazing architecture in the area.
- If you are visiting during the weekend, make reservations to visit the Skydeck. Social distancing rules apply, but you can still have a great time on the ledge where you are standing more than 1300 feet in the air with the perfect view of the city. It is an experience like no other.
- Head out on the Chicago Riverwalk to take a trip down a path that is slightly more than a mile long. Not only is a journey on this path free to the public, but there are also some great places to eat along the path, including The Beat Kitchen and Tiny Tapp & Cafe. Whether you are in the mood for a burger, gelato, or even a few drinks, there is a restaurant that can accommodate your needs.
- Have a few good laughs at Zanies, the popular Chicago comedy club. You can find out which comedians are set to perform on specific dates and book your spot in advance due to the limited number of seats available.
If you are traveling to Chicago soon, you might wonder what you can do because of the pandemic. Despite the current state of the country due to COVID-19, there are still some great opportunities to have fun with your loved ones. Be sure to double-check the locations for updated times and information. It is also a good idea to make reservations when possible to save a spot due to the limited number of people who can visit. Don’t forget to bring your mask. (Here’s a DIY no-sew idea if you need to make one.)
Find more resources for Chicago below: