Tutorial: How To Make Cotton Candy Cupcakes From Scratch
Ingredients on how to make Cotton Candy Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg, plus 2 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cotton candy
Directions How To Make Cotton Candy Cupcakes From Scratch
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners and place to the side.
In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter, sour cream, egg, yolks, and vanilla and beat until smooth. Stir in the cotton candy until evenly distributed -do not over mix.
Get 3-4 small bowls scoop equal amount of cake mix in each bowl. Add 1 drop of food coloring to each bowl mixing until you get the desired color of choice. Using a large spoon add a scoop of cake mix from each color filling the cupcake holder. Do not over fill.
Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Transfer to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting:
1 1/2 to 3 teaspoons heavy cream
1 ounce cotton candy
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter softened
4 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a bowl, pour 1 1/2 teaspoons of the heavy cream over the cotton candy to melt it place to the side
In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until thoroughly combined. Stir in the vanilla and melted cotton candy. Beat on medium high until light and fluffy add the remaining cream.
To Decorate Cotton Candy Cupcakes
- Get 3-4 small bowls fill with equal parts icing. Add food coloring to each of color of choice. Mix until completely blended to the color of choice.
- Use a pastry bag and a LARGE Star tip: fill the pastry bag with scoops from each color of icing using your hand start at one spot on the cupcake ago around the edge with icing continue the motion building a cone shape and covering the whole cupcake.
- Now place a small piece of cotton candy on top for decoration.
Love Cotton Candy? Be sure to check out some of our other cotton candy recipes:
The Guava Watermelon Margarita