The session drink known as the Irish Maid is the perfect St. Paddy’s Day cocktail. It is fresh, bright and twinkles like the Emerald Isle itself. Cheers!
The Irish Maid: The Perfect St. Patrick’s Day Cocktail
Here’s hoping you have a wonderful Saint Patrick’s Day! What’s on your St. Paddy’s Day to-do-list? Making Irish Soda Bread? Listening to Thistle & Shamrock? (I just adore Fiona Ritchie, don’t you?) Or sucking down a few pints of green beer? Over here, I replaced the green beer with something a bit more, well, less green. I field-tested a wonderful session drink (meaning a drink you can drink all night), the delicious and traditional, The Irish Maid. This cocktail is my liquefied version of a pot of Irish Gold. For starters, it’s got a pretty good double jigger of Jameson’s Irish Whiskey (but any good Irish whiskey will do, don’t ye‘ know?). I’ve thrown in a wee-spot of Elderberry Liqueur, a pour of freshly squeezed lemon juice and the sweet of simple syrup tinged with o’ bit of honey. But the ingredient that sets this toast to the Emerald Isle apart is the addition of freshly sliced and crisp cucumber! Don’t frown up your face like that (it just might stay that way…LOL). The muddled cucumber lends earthiness and subtlety to this homage to the unsung heroine of Irish-American culture, the Irish Maid. Cheers!
St. Patrick’s Day cocktail idea:
- 2 ounces Jameson Whiskey Casemates or Black
- 3 slices of cucumber
- 0.5-ounce Elderberry Liqueur
- 0.75 ounce Fresh Lemon Juice
- 0.75-ounce Simple Syrup with a drop of honey (the honey is optional)
- Ice Cubes
Type of Glass: A standard whiskey or rocks glass
- Into a shaking tin drop in two (2) slices of cucumber, using a muddler mash cucumbers.
- Add whiskey, Elderberry liqueur, lemon juice, simple syrup and lots of ice.
- Shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a wheel of fresh cucumber.
- Drink responsibly, and never drink and drive.
NEW St. Patrick’s Day cocktail to try: St. Germaine Grasshopper