Apple Crisp Funnel Cake With Homemade Caramel
Here’s what you will need to create this oh so right it’s wrong dessert at home…
- 3 Granny Smith Apples
- 2 Honeycrisp Apples
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Meyer Lemon Zest
- 1 Navel Orange Zest
- Juice from 1 Myer Lemon
- Juice from 1 Navel Orange
- 1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Directions:Peel and cut the apples into medium-size chunks. Combine the cut fruit with the orange and lemon zests, juices, vanilla extract, Kosher salt, 1/2 cup of sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Pour mixture, including all of the juice, into baking dish, I prefer a cast iron skillet. Yes, my Mama taught me well.
Apple Crisp Crumble Ingredients:
- 1 cop of Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 1/2 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tablespoon of Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon of Nutmeg
- 1/4 Ground Cloves
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 2 Sticks of Unsalted Sweet Cream Butter
Bake for 1 hour (60 minutes) or until top is golden brown and you can’t take it anymore. Remove from oven and let it cool a bit. Scoop out the apple crisp while it still warm and place on top of warm funnel cake and drizzle with homemade caramel.
Funnel Cake Recipe:
- Vegetable Oil, for frying
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 3 1/3 Flour
- 3 Eggs
- Directions:1. Mix flour and sugar until incorporated.2. Add flour, Kosher salt and baking powder and mix well.3. Slowly pour in milk a little at a time and mix well until all milk is added.
4. Pour batter into a Funnel Pitcher or Pancake Dispenser
5. Heat vegetable oil, when oil is hot hold Funnel Pitcher over hot oil and begin drizzling batter into hot oil making zigzagging and overlapping patterns.
6. Allow batter to brown then scoop out with a large slotted spoon and place on a wire rack lined with paper towel.
7. Top with powdered sugar
Homemade Salted Caramel
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 5 Tablespoons of Sweet Cream Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tablespoon of Pure Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Kosher Salt
- Directions:In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, mix brown sugar, heavy cream, butter and salt. Stir until mixture starts to thicken about 5-8 minutes. Add vanilla, stir until well mixed and remove caramel from heat. After you have drizzled caramel all over the Apple Crisp Funnel Cake and caramel add a pinch of coarse Sea salt over it all. Now, watch it disappear, you are now a certified magician!