It’s that time of year. Thanksgiving time! Here’s a good solid and easy Cornbread Dressing Recipe for Thanksgiving. It’s made with Jiffy Mix cornbread and has a ton of flavor! Grab the recipe down below!
Easy Cornbread Dressing Recipe
I have had several friends over the years ask me for a good solid and easy Cornbread Dressing Recipe. Although I have several really good ones. This one is a great basic dressing recipe. It is good as is or it can be a great starting point on which to build more involved varieties. Let me know how it comes out. Enjoy.
**Do this part FIRST: Before you can make our cornbread dressing, you need to start by making the cornbread.
- 2 Boxes of Jiffy Mix Cornbread Mix
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup of Yellow Cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil or Melted Unsalted Butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Note: The cornbread recipe has to be made interdependently and baked off before it can be added to the dressing recipe.
- In a bowl combine 2 boxes of Jiffy Cornbread Mix, 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, sugar, two eggs and 1 1/4 cup of whole milk.
- Mix well until all ingredients are combined and pour into a baking dish brushed with olive oil or melted butter.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes at 400 degrees or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow cornbread to cool.
Additional Cornbread Dressing Ingredients You Will Need:
- I Large Bag of Pepperidge Farm Sage & Onion Stuffing
- 1 Large Can (49.5) of Swanson’s Chicken Stock
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter + 1 tbsp, divided
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3-4 Tbsp of Rubbed Sage
- 2 Tbsp of Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Sea Salt or Kosher, to taste
- 2-3 Tbsp of Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 Cup of Chopped Sweet Onions such as Vidalia
- 1 Cup of Thinly Sliced Celery w/leaves, chopped
- 1/2 Cup of Chopped Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/2 Cup of Chopped Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 3-4 cloves of minced garlic (use a garlic press for best results)
While the cornbread is baking, start chopping all of the veggies. This is going to be the most time-consuming part.
How to make the perfect cornbread dressing:
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sauté onions, celery, green and red peppers using a 1 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 1 tbsp of unsalted butter, set aside.
- In a large deep pan pour Pepperidge Farm Stuffing mix, add sautéed vegetables and minced garlic.
- Once cornbread is cool enough to handle crumble cornbread into large 1- 1/2 diameter chunks and mix with a large wooden spoon until cornbread, stuffing mix and veggies are combined.
- Add all the seasonings to a small bowl and mix well then sprinkle mixture over stuffing mix.
- Start adding 1 cup of chicken broth at a time until mixture is moist but not too damp. You still want the chunky cornbread pieces. You do not want your cornbread pieces soggy and falling apart. Gently mix until mixture is even.
- Next, slice one stick of unsalted butter all over the stuffing until the butter is all gone (make sure to get butter into the corners of the pan where it gets all buttery and toasty, that’s my favorite part too).
- Bake in a preheated oven for 350 degrees for one hour.
- If cornbread dressing is browning too quickly place a sheet of aluminum foil over pan and continue baking.
If you are looking for a change in your regular dressing or stuffing recipe, this is it!
Want to make this recipe even better! Here are a few other ingredients you may want to toss into the mix:
- Chopped Fresh Rosemary
- Chopped Fresh Thyme
- Pan Fried Apples or Pears
- Dried Cranberries
- Chopped Toasted Pecans (Walnuts or Macadamia nuts work well too)
- Crumbled Bacon
- Caramelized Onions
- Chopped Fennel
- Chopped Artichokes
Remember these are optional ingredients and not essential to the recipe, add according to your individual taste.
Also, if you want to try an alternative to Turkey, be sure to check out my recipe for Cornish Hens!
Plus, we put a twist on our regular dressing recipe with Italian Sausage! See this year’s stuffing/dressing recipe: